Update by user Aug 20

Michelin rep wanted to talk to me over the phone.I refused to talk to him.

He was informed that all communications between Michelin and I would have to be in writing. I don't want them to change the conversation around or deny things later.

That was two weeks ago.I have heard nothing else from them.

Original review posted by user Jul 19

This is what happened to my Michelin 70,000 mile tires at about 57,000 miles, causing me to have to replace tires on a trip to Florida.The back tires were ok, but the front tires were coming to pieces.

The chunks were not just in the middle or on either side, they were all the way across the tread pattern, which doesn't indicate under or over inflation or bad alignment, it indicates a bad rubber mix. I took them to the Michelin dealer who had a Michelin rep. there who wanted them to "send them to the factory" to have the rubber checked out. I gave him the tires to do this, but he wasn't aware I had taken pictures of the tires before I gave them to him.

The response to me was later sent from a Michelin Tire DISTRIBUTOR, (ATD aka American Tire Distributors, 917 Rosewood Drive, Columbia, SC) not from the factory. They said the tires were "too worn" to merit a claim on them. What the ??? They were 70,000 mile tires with about 57,000 miles.

Why were they rated 70,000 mile tires??? I guess "too worn" means they were driven off the lot. Bad thing is, ALL I asked for was the cost of replacing the two worst tires. This was only, a little over $300 to cover the tires with mounting and balancing.

. The price of the Michelin tires on the truck were $225 each, and all of them were tossed for a total of $900.00 (not including balancing and mounting). I felt I made them a VERY reasonable offer to resolve this, but they want to play some sort of chicken-*** game with me. Bad thing is, ALL I asked for was the cost of replacing the two worst tires.

This was only, a little over $300 to cover the tires with mounting and balancing. .

The price of the Michelin tires on the truck were $225 each, and all of them were tossed for a total of $900.00 (not including balancing and mounting).I felt I made them a VERY reasonable offer to resolve this, but they want to play some sort of chicken-*** game with me.

Review about: Michelin Tires Tires.

Preferred solution: Reimbursal of $395.49 for tires I had to replace because of this problem..

I didn't like: Tires fell apart, Customer service, Refused warranty, Michelin refused to honnor warranty.

Had an Experience with Michelin Tires?

Comments

I have 4 Michelin Latitudes and 1 is losing thread in junks. It some sort of defect. I am not even mentioning the mileage as its not relevant to the pieces just coming off.

Don't bother to write, either.

They haven't responded to my inquiry regarding white wall tire issues and I've been waiting for a reply since 1978.

Too many variables could have been ur fault

h.kitchener
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1352417

The 70k life is just a very basic indicator and used for marketing.No one can "guarantee" a tire will last 70k or anything else as there are too many variables involved---road conditions, driving styles, alignment, balancing, etc.

etc.

You got 57k miles out of them.Be glad you noticed the problem before you found yourself stuck along I-75 in the middle of Georgia on a hot day.

to h.kitchener #1361849

The Michelin rep looked the tires over and said it looked like a faulty mix in the rubber. He wanted them to "send them back to the factory" for analysis. Once he got them,, Michelin denied receiving them, even though I was later sent a receipt from ADT, their distributor, saying they were being declined because of "too much wear." Wear wasn't the problem, the tires were falling apart.

to h.kitchener #1361850

If you see the photos, the tires still had plenty of tread on them for 57,000 miles

to h.kitchener #1361851

By the way, do you happen to work at ADT, or is it Michelin?